This afternoon, Catherine Martin T.D., Minister for Media, Tourism, Arts, Culture, Sport and the Gaeltacht announced the membership of the Arts and Culture Recovery Task Force.
The new Taskforce will prepare a report and make recommendations for the Minister for Media, Tourism, Arts, Culture, Sport and the Gaeltacht on how the industry can adapt and ultimately survive the ongoing global pandemic.
Chairing the task force is Clare Duignan. The other members are:
· Arts Council
· Business to Arts
· Council of the National Cultural Institutions
· County and City Management Association (CCMA)
· Department of Health
· Department of Media, Tourism, Arts, Culture, Sport and the Gaeltacht
· Department of Social Protection
· Ealaín na Gaeltachta
· Events Industry Alliance
· Irish Congress of Trade Unions
· National Campaign for the Arts
· Irish Music Rights Organisation
· Irish Theatre Institute
· Screen Ireland
· Screen Producers Ireland
· Denise Chaila
· Martin Hayes
Taking as its starting point, the research and evidence of the devastating impact of the pandemic on the sector compiled by the Department, the Arts Council and other stakeholders, the Taskforce will:
· adopt a solution-focused approach;
· seek sector-specific expert input and consult with stakeholders;
· invite additional individuals or expertise to attend meetings on an ad hoc basis, as it deems necessary;
· focus on providing intelligence and recommendations for an expected on-going and varying impact of COVID-19 restrictions;
· identify immediate and medium-term goals for recovery and sustainability in the sector;
· identify possible policy initiatives or impediments to a robust sustainable recovery in the sector;
· recommend whole of Government policy initiatives and actions to support the sector;
· report to the Minister for Media, Tourism, Arts, Culture, Sport and the Gaeltacht by the 31 October 2020 in order to provide the Government with an action-plan for the sector.
Speaking on the creation of the new task force Minister Martin said, “The pandemic has had a devastating impact on the arts and culture sectors. Live performances, theatre, music and events have all but disappeared from society. Identifying ways of preserving and re-establishing this once-vibrant, heart-warming and magical sector will be a mammoth task. The membership of the Task Force that I am appointing holds a wealth of experience and talent and I have no doubt that collectively they will rise to the challenge. I look forward to receiving the Report in due course.”
You can contact the taskforce with your concerns at – firstname.lastname@example.org and all correspondence will be published in due course.
Photo: Olaf Herschbach/EyeEm/Getty Images