Last month the government decided to delay the reopening of pubs and nightclubs until August 10. They followed the decision without any promises of an easing of the restrictions on the given date in the face of a rising number of cases in Ireland.
Today the Cabinet decided that pubs will not be allowed to reopen as scheduled on Monday 10 August and restaurants will have to close at 23.00 as part of a tightening of restrictions.
Importantly, restrictions on indoor and outdoor gatherings will remain the same. This means that only 200 people will be permitted to gather outdoors and just 50 indoors, damaging any chance the live events industry have at returning to any semblance of normality anytime soon.
Micheal Martin has also stated that face coverings will also be compulsory in shopping centres from August 10 and the decisions on pubs and restaurants made today will be reviewed again in three weeks.
“I know this will come as a blow to pub owners and I want them to know I have sympathy for their plight,” he said.
Continuing the Taoiseach said, “We are doing what we are doing to save lives.”
“Given these figures and the international trend, this is what we recommend.”
Photo: LEAH FARRELL/ROLLINGNEWS.IE