Words: Dylan Murphy
The decision comes after the site found a resolution with payment processors, the chief executive says.
Last week, OnlyFans said it would ban sexually explicit content on the site from October 1 angering users who feared it would leave many creators without a safe avenue to generate income.
They’ve now released a tweet revealing that they have reversed their decision saying they “have secured assurances necessary to support our diverse creator community and have suspended the planned October 1 policy change.”
“OnlyFans stands for inclusion and we will continue to provide a home for all creators.”
It comes after OnlyFans’ chief executive and co-founder, Tim Stokely blamed financial backers for the ban on sexually explicit content in an interview with the Financial Times, “The change in policy, we had no choice – the short answer is banks”.
“We pay over one million creators over $300m every month, and making sure that these funds get to creators involves using the banking sector.”
It follows new rules from financial processors like Mastercard that aim at cracking down on the uploading of non-consensual sharing of sexual imagery and child sexual abuse material.
Elsewhere on District: How surrendering to the supernatural inspired Villagers’ new album.